They are simply a no-cook method of making oats. Instead of cooking the oatmeal on the stovetop or in the microwave bowl, you just soak the raw oats in any kind of milk and refrigerate. The soaking time allows the oats to absorb the liquid and in the process soften them enough so that they can be eaten uncooked. The add-ins like fruits, nuts and seeds make it delicious the way you want.
Do you eat overnight oats hot or cold?
What type of oats is best for overnight oats?
Are overnight oats healthy?
So, if you want to give oats a second chance, here is a basic idea for making overnight oats. You prepare the base and refrigerate overnight. Add your choice of toppings and scoop and eat! Keep 2 to 3 parts of liquid for 1 part of oats.
Overnight Oats Ingredients
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup yoghurt or labneh or more milk
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds or flax seeds (optional but recommended for fibre)
- 1 tablespoon sweetener or nut butter of choice (refer below list for ideas)
- ¼ teaspoon choice of flavour (vanilla or cinnamon or cardamom etc)
Sweetener: (choose one)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seed butter
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon Nutella
- 1 tablespoon Biscoff
- 1 teaspoon of any jam
- ½ teaspoon stevia
- The choice is yours!
- Choice of fruits (banana, apple, berries, etc)
- Choice of mixed nuts or seeds
How to make overnight oats?
- Take a jar or a mug and add the base ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and keep refrigerated overnight for 6 to 8 hours.
- When you want to eat, take it out and add your choice of toppings and enjoy!
- When adding avocado, mix it with the yoghurt to prevent it from browning.
- You can also add a tablespoon of desiccated coconut with banana and berries, I bet you will love it.
- Dash of cardamom powder or cinnamon powder will also add flavour
- Feel free to add more milk if you prefer a looser consistency