I like to call this Chapati Omelette even though technically it is Egg Paratha. This is a no-recipe recipe, meaning you can make your omelette mixture and use chapathi or tortilla. I have shared my way of making but it is not the only way.
When I shared the chapati omelette pic on Instagram stories I wasn't expecting the overwhelming love it received. On popular demand, I had to share the step-by-step details. It remains one of the best recipes that new moms and students love to make.
- Eggs: You can omelette with just salt and pepper or feel free to add whatever you fancy. I usually add more ingredients depending on how hungry I am.
- Chapati: I usually have some leftover chapathi or the dough in the fridge. You may be store-bought packs of tortilla or chapathi or pita etc. Any flatbread of your choice should work for this recipe.
- Fat/Oil: Again, your choice. I use ghee or butter.
I had a stint with the LCHF diet for a few months when I consumed omelettes for a lifetime! So much so that I had to take a break from both the diet and the eggs. You can make this into low-carb-high-fat version by using low-carb flatbread. I don't have any such recipes yet, but there are ton of Youtubers sharing such recipes passionately.
But I no longer on any diet and my love for eggs is undying...! If you also love eggs, then do try my Kerala egg puffs or savoury french toast for a change.
I have compiled all the videos and pictures I had shared on Insta stories into a Youtube video for ease. Also, you can check my Instagram video on how to make chapathi dough.
Chapathi Omelette | An Easy Egg Paratha
- 1 to 2 eggs
- 1 to 2 green chilli
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper or any veggies like carrot, tomato, zucchini, etc.
- a fistful of greens coriander or parsley or spinach etc.
- salt and pepper to taste add less salt if using feta cheese
- feta cheese crumbled
- 1 chapathi or tortilla
- butter for frying omelette and bread
- Grease the pan with ghee or butter and heat on a low flame.
- Add the omelette ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until no visible strands of egg.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot pan and spread it to a thin layer.
- Scatter the cheese over the omelette while the eggs are still raw.
- Place the chapathi over this omelette and press down. The cheese and raw egg will adhere to the bread. Cover and cook so the omelette cooks and the bread warms up.
- Open and spread some ghee over the chapathi and then flip it.
- Let it get roasted for a few seconds and then fold the chapathi to encase the omelette inside. Flip a few times until crispy.
- Transfer to the cutting board, slice into two halves and serve hot.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!