A breakfast match made in heaven. Scrambled eggs and Avocado but with a twist – Picture this: perfectly toasted bread slathered with creamy avocado, topped with sliced cheese, and crowned with warm fluffy scrambled eggs with juicy cherry tomatoes.
Whether your avocado is budget-friendly or a splurge, the feeling when you slice it open is: "Is it gonna be a good one?" 🥑😄 Am I right?
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I am on a sourdough baking spree and it is not complete until avocado is involved, right? But, convincing Mr. F to love a simple avocado toast with scrambled eggs was a challenge until I whipped up this version.
This is just a simple, healthy, protein-packed breakfast you can make in less than 15 minutes! Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- ripe avocado
- lime or lemon juice
- seasonings: salt, pepper and chilli flakes
- cheese slice
- cherry tomatoes
See the recipe card for quantities.
Here's a step-by-step guide to creating your mouthwatering scrambled eggs and avocado toast, complete with a few roasted cherry tomatoes.
Prep the toast
Begin by toasting your slices of bread to your preferred level of crispiness. You can use a toaster or a skillet with a bit of butter for extra flavour.
Cut the large avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh using a spoon. Place cut side down over the toasted bread.
Use a fork to mash it and spread it all over the bread. Squeeze some lime or lemon juice over the avocado and season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes or your favourite dried herb seasonings.
You may place a slice of cheese on top of the avocado spread.
Tip: Want your stainless steel pan to go non-stick? Easy! Just pop it on the stove and give it a 2-minute warm-up. Toss a spoon of water in the middle and watch closely. If it bubbles up and vanishes, it's not quite there. But if it forms cute little beads and dances around, you're good to go! Time to add some oil and start cooking.
Cook the eggs
Heat a frying pan skillet over medium-low heat and add butter and olive oil. Place the cherry tomatoes cut side down.
While the cherry tomatoes are cooking, crack two or three large eggs into a bowl. Add three tablespoons of milk to the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Whisk the mixture until it's well combined.
Pour the egg mixture into the same skillet with the cherry tomatoes.
Use a spatula to gently swirl and stir the eggs as they cook. Keep stirring occasionally until the eggs are creamy and just set. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
Once your scrambled eggs are done, immediately spoon them over the cheese-topped avocado toast. Sprinkle a bit more chilli flakes and freshly ground pepper on top if you like it spicy. Serve this warm and delicious scrambled eggs and avocado toast immediately.
I must tell you, F is not a fan of open-sandwich or toasts - he says it is not easy to eat. But he is A-okay if the bread is brioche. Talk about spoilt for options. So, if you too have an F in the house, make it a sandwich or serve toasted bread with scrambled eggs and avocado on the side on a plate. Recently, I used a knife to cut this toast into four smaller pieces so he could eat in portions.
Hint: Keep in mind that a steel or cast iron pan retains heat exceptionally well. You can switch off and continue cooking the eggs using the residual heat in the pan. This ensures they stay perfectly creamy without overcooking.
Here are some ingredient substitutions you can consider for your scrambled eggs and avocado toast recipe:
- Bread: You already know this. You can use whole wheat, multigrain, sourdough, or any type of bread you prefer.
- Avocado: I hate to say it but if you don't have a ripe avocado, then you can skip it. You may use more cheese or any other spread like cream cheese or labneh.
- Chilli Flakes: If you don't have chilli flakes, you can use a splash of hot sauce, cayenne pepper, or paprika for the heat. You may also just use a pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Cheese Slices: Feel free to use your favourite cheese, such as cheddar, Swiss, or American.
- Butter and Olive Oil: This is my favourite option, but you can use whatever cooking oil you love.
- Cherry Tomatoes: If you don't have cherry tomatoes, use a not-so-juicy regular tomato or even better some chopped bell peppers.
- Milk: You can substitute milk with cream, half-and-half, or even dairy-free alternatives like almond milk or coconut milk.
Seasoning can be adjusted to your taste, and you can also experiment with dried herbs like parsley, oregano, or basil for extra flavour. Feel free to get creative and adapt the recipe to your liking!
Oh, the possibilities of making this simple scrambled eggs and avocado recipe are endless! Here are some tasty variations that I love and you can try:
- mushrooms: Top your avocado toast with sauteed mushrooms before adding the scrambled eggs. Or replace the cherry tomatoes with mushrooms!
- beef bacon: Cook crispy beef bacon strips and crumble them over your scrambled eggs.
- feta: Mix crumbled feta cheese into your scrambled eggs for a Mediterranean-inspired delight.
- salsa: Top your avocado toast with this Arabic tomato salsa.
- vegan option: For a vegan version, use tofu scramble instead of eggs and skip the cheese.
- Toaster: You'll need a toaster to toast your bread slices. Alternatively, you can use a skillet with a bit of butter to toast them for extra flavour.
- Fork: To mash the avocado and also whisk the eggs.
- Skillet: I have used Ikea's SENSUELL 28 cm stainless steel frying pan.
- Spatula for gently swirling and stirring the scrambled eggs.
This recipe makes two toasts. If for some reason your partner rushed without eating his share, then you have a few options:
- wrap the entire toast in cling film or place it in a container. This can stay on the counter for a few hours but refrigerate and consume within a day.
- deconstruct the toast and store the bread with avocado and the scrambled egg separately.
To reheat, warm up the scrambled eggs toast the bread lightly, and assemble again to eat. You can add a splash of milk to reheat the scrambled egg in a microwave or frying pan with a lid.
To achieve the creamiest scrambled eggs, remember to cook them over low heat and stir gently. This slow and steady approach prevents overcooking and results in eggs that are soft, silky, and utterly indulgent.
While I prefer fresh avocado for the best texture, you can use thawed frozen avocado if that's what you have. Keep in mind that frozen avocado may be slightly softer, make sure you use a well-toasted bread that can hold up.
Yes, you can make dairy-free scrambled eggs by substituting plant-based milk for regular milk. You can also just replace the milk with plain water and omit the cheese.
To make fluffier scrambled eggs, first, make sure to whisk the eggs with milk or water vigorously until the yolk and white become one. Then cook them over low heat while stirring continuously.
To prevent avocado from browning, slice it open only close to serving time. As soon as you slice them, hit them with some lime or lemon juice to stop the oxidation. If you have an unused half avocado, store it with the pit and press plastic wrap directly against the surface of the exposed flesh. This minimizes contact with air, which causes browning.
Looking for other recipes using avocado or eggs? Try these:
Scrambled Eggs and Avocado
- skillet or frying pan
- toaster or skillet
- 2 bread slices bread of choice
- 1 large ripe avocado
- a squeeze of lemon
- 2 pinch chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cheese slice optional
For scrambled eggs:
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cherry tomatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoon milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
Toasting the Bread
- Begin by toasting your slices of bread to your preferred level of crispiness. You can use a toaster or a skillet with a bit of butter for extra flavor.2 bread slices
- Cut the large avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop out the flesh using a spoon. Place cut side down over the toasted bread.1 large ripe avocado
- Use a fork to mash it and spread it all over the bread. Squeeze some lime or lemon juice over the avocado and season with salt, pepper, and chilli flakes or your favourite dried herb seasonings. You may place a slice of cheese on top of the avocado spread.a squeeze of lemon, 2 pinch chilli flakes, Salt and pepper to taste
Scrambled Eggs and Tomatoes
- Heat a frying pan or skillet over medium-low heat and add butter and olive oil. Place the cherry tomatoes cut side down.½ tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 3 cherry tomatoes
- While the cherry tomatoes are cooking, crack three large eggs into a bowl. Add three tablespoons of milk to the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Whisk the mixture until it's well combined.3 large eggs, 3 tablespoon milk, Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the egg mixture into the same skillet with the cherry tomatoes.
- Use a spatula to gently swirl and stir the eggs as they cook until the eggs are creamy and just set. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Once your scrambled eggs are done, immediately spoon them over the cheese-topped avocado toast. Sprinkle a bit more chili flakes and freshly ground pepper on top if you like it spicy. Serve this warm and delicious scrambled eggs and avocado toast immediately.Salt and pepper to taste, 2 pinch chilli flakes
Check out my reel for a great tip on how to ripen avocado perfectly.