This low carb single serve almond bread is super easy to make and is done in just 90 seconds in a microwave and less than 8 minutes in an oven.
This low-carb bread will not crumble or break easily. It is strong enough to slice and make a mean sandwich or just plain butter toast! I like to have this as a cheese and fried egg sandwich.
LCHF diet phase
I embraced a low carb high fat lifestyle (2019) and was going strong for almost 3 months. But then, I had to get off that wagon because though it helped me in shedding some weight, I was losing more than just weight. But the three months of discipline was a phase where I learnt so much about food and how it works in our bodies. I learnt portion control for real!
This almond bread and sometimes flaxseed meal bread was something I ate almost every day! None of the popular recipes for almond bread worked for me. It used to crumble, not hold shape, can't make sandwiches, very delicate, so I had to test and experiment a lot.
But never got wasted as you know the ingredients are not cheap! Finally, I nailed it and my Insta fam was all along my journey and was pleased to see my perfect slice of almond bread. I made it again to capture step-by-step and share stories.
I have tried using olive oil and ghee but my personal favourite is butter. It is best to use it in melted form to make the batter.
- Almond flour: store-bought or homemade can be used. You may replace almond flour with 25gms flax meal
- Baking powder: indispensable
- Butter: salted, weighed and melted. You may replace it with melted ghee or olive oil.
- Egg: medium or large size egg.
How to make it?
You may do the whole thing in the same container. Just add all the ingredients, whisk and microwave or bake as per the instructions. Also, this low-carb single-serve almond bread is extremely versatile.
With plenty of ideas to make this for both savoury and sweet versions, you can make this fit any of your bread-craving moods.
I like to use a 4-inch x 4-inch microwave-safe container for the microwave. I prefer to prepare the batter in a different bowl and then transfer it to the container to make it a neat slice. Once you add the batter into the container, tap on the counter a few times to remove air bubbles.
Microwave on high for 1 min and 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and let cool.
For the oven, you need to use an oven-safe container. A square glass or ceramic pan or round pan would be great. I make the batter in a different bowl and transfer it to the container to make it a neat slice.
Once you add the batter into the container, tap on the counter a few times to remove air bubbles. Bake in the oven at 180c for 8 minutes or until the centre springs back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean.
Why you should make this Low Carb Single Serve Almond Bread
Keto or not, LCHF or not, this single-serve almond bread is a must-try whatever diet you are on or not on. When you run out of bread, make one of these. When you want to feel less guilty about having indulged, make this for the next meal. When you have to use up the almond flour stash, make this or my cherry almond muffins 😉 What I am trying to say is you don't need to be on a certain diet to make this bread.
Low Carb Single Serve Almond Bread
- 10 grams unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons almond flour ¼ cup
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- salt to taste only add if you used unsalted butter
- 4 grams butter to toast the bread
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized bowl and let cool.
- Whisk the egg into the bowl of melted butter until combined.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder and salt until a smooth batter (you may add a choice of herbs and chilli flakes for savoury and sweetener and cinnamon or cardamom for a sweet treat)
- Grease very lightly a microwaveable or oven-friendly 4x4 square pan, round pan, or flat-bottomed mug.
- Transfer the batter into the greased pan using a rubber spatula (so nothing is left behind). Spread and level the batter, and tap the pan to settle all the air bubbles.
- Microwave on full power for 1 min and 30 seconds or bake in preheated oven for 6 mins at 190°C.
- Remove and let it cool for a min before you slice horizontally to make a sandwich.
- Toast the sandwich in a pan with the remaining butter.
- Make your desired sandwich and serve.