Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread - This quick bread loaf has a moist crumb with a crispy crust and is full of chocolate flavour and walnut bites. Serve as a sweet snack with your weekend breakfast or carry a slice for a post lunch dessert.
This is my ultimate quick bread recipe that has all my favourite ingredients! I have quite a few quick bread recipes here because they are so easy to make for anyone! You don't have to use any mixer appliance, just two bowls, a whisk and a spatula will do.
- cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
- baking soda
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
How to make it?
This chocolate walnut banana bread is also a "quick bread" which means the mixing of the batter is super easy and forgiving. All you need is two bowls, one whisk, and a rubber spatula! The mixing technique is called the muffin mixing method or quick bread method.
- Whisk the dry ingredients
- Whisk the wet ingredients
- Add the wet to the dry
- Fold gently until combined
- Pour into a greased or lined pan
- Top with chopped walnuts
- Bake and cool
- slice and serve!
- Flour: I have baked this bread three to four times with variations in flour. You can use only all-purpose flour (maida) or replace some portions with whole wheat flour or even finger millet flour (ragi flour).
- Cocoa powder: I have used unsweetened Hersheys. Now, if you don't want chocolate flavour, replace it with flour.
- Chocolate chips: you can skip this or use any chocolate that you like to eat.
- Sugar: I have used both brown sugar and white sugar. You may use all brown or all white.
- Butter: I have used melted unsalted butter but you may use any neutral cooking oil.
Use a 8x4 loaf pan or 6-inch round pan or 2 mini loaf pans.
Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread
- 1 8x4 loaf pan or 6-inch round pan or 2 mini loaf pans
- ½ cup all-purpose flour maida
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour (or use apf )
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 10 to 12 walnuts toasted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips optional
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup melted butter or any neutral cooking oil
- ½ to ¾ cup ripe banana mashed (1 large ripe banana)
Prepare the pan and oven
- Preheat the oven to 180°C with the rack in the middle. Grease and line the 8x4 inches loaf pan with baking paper.
Prepare the batter
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add all the wet ingredients to a smaller bowl and whisk until combined. (make sure your melted butter is not too hot). Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture bowl or vice versa and use a spatula to fold just until combined with no trace of flour. Do not overmix.
Prepare to bake
- Transfer the batter into the lined loaf pan, and sprinkle the chopped walnuts all over the top. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to settle the batter evenly.
- Bake the banana bread: Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
Serve and store
- Serve warm or cold with coffee or tea. Store the remaining banana bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 to 3 days or refrigerate for a week.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!