I remember Ragee stretched out and watching me while I was preparing the table for the photo shoot. I was telling her how we will be eating the cake while she gets to eat her favourite tuna shreds, of course, ground and through a syringe. 😒We had one loaf the same evening I baked and the other loaf was meant for the next day's celebration but instead, it was unattended on the counter. On Oct 20th, the day started with unforeseen events one after the other and eventually, we lost Ragee on the way to the vet in Jeddah. It is hard to forget the grief! As I was not cooking and was deeply depressed, the banana bread with chocolate and walnuts in the fridge was my stress fix. I get teary thinking of the moment she breathed her last. Some days I am all into binge-watching her videos and laughing. I will miss her all my life. I have contemplated pouring my heart out into words dedicated to her, but I decided to let it be. I don't want to confine my love for her into a few paragraphs... let it be.
Ingredients for Banana Walnut Bread
- Flour: I have baked this bread three to four times with variations in flour. You can use only all-purpose flour (maida) or replace some portions with whole wheat flour or even finger millet flour (ragi flour).
- Cocoa powder: I have used unsweetened Hersheys. Now, if you don't want chocolate flavour, replace it with flour.
- Chocolate chips: Optional but adds an extra chocolate richness.
- Sugar: I have used both brown sugar and white sugar. You may use all brown or all white.
- Leavening agents: Yes, we really need both baking soda and baking powder to make this banana quick bread. Do not skip.
- Salt: a pinch will do but skip it if you use salted butter.
- Walnuts: I have used whole walnuts that I chopped up finely. I didn't toast before using. You may use almonds.
- Egg: use a large egg
- Banana: Measure after mashing the ripe banana as bananas come in all sizes!
- Vanilla extract
- Butter: I have used melted unsalted butter but you may use any neutral cooking oil.
How to make Chocolate Banana Walnut bread?
- Whisk the dry ingredients
- Whisk the wet ingredients
- Add the wet to the dry
- Fold gently until combined
- Pour into a greased or lined pan
- Top with chopped walnuts
- Bake and cool
- slice and serve!
Chocolate Walnut Banana Bread Recipe
Measured dry ingredients using the fluff, scoop and sweep method
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (maida)
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour or ragi flour or oats flour or use more maida itself
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- 8 to 10 toasted walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup oil or melted butter
- ½ to ¾ cup mashed banana (1 large ripe banana)
- Chopped walnuts
- Prepare the pan and oven: Preheat the oven to 180°C with the rack in the middle. Grease and line the 8x4 inches loaf pan with baking paper.
- Prepare the batter: Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add all the wet ingredients to a smaller bowl and whisk until combined. (make sure your melted butter is not too hot). Fold in the wet mixture into the dry mixture bowl or vice versa and use a spatula to fold just until combined with no trace of flour. Do not overmix.
- Prepare to bake: Transfer the batter into the lined loaf pan, and sprinkle the chopped walnuts all over the top. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to settle the batter evenly.
- Bake the banana bread: Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Serve and store: Serve warm or cold with coffee or tea. Store the remaining banana bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 to 3 days or refrigerate for a week.