Dominique Ansel banana bread is an ultra-rich moist bread with lots of sugar and butter. Can't deny the fact, that it is the best banana bread recipe hands down.
My husband who is never a banana bread fan is beyond obsessed with this one. I did not consider him so made using my two mini loaf pans so I can save one for later. He ate one slice reluctantly and then kept asking for more! I had to use up the second loaf too soon. 😄
Dominique Ansel banana bread is rich and moist with lots of sugar and butter, you know we love butter here! I never associated banana bread to be an ultra-rich indulgent snack but this recipe is seriously a must-try. I am here to tell you it is worth every single calorie.
So, Who is Dominique Ansel?
Dominique Ansel is a French-American pastry chef and the owner of Dominique Ansel Bakery in New York City. He is the man behind the famous Cronut, which is a doughnut made from croissant dough. I don't know if I will ever get a chance visit his Bakery. But, thanks to his Instagram for a virtual taste! Also, this banana bread recipe is part of his book, Everyone Can Bake.
What makes this banana bread extra good?
The high sugar, butter and eggs compared to the usual banana bread recipes make this a richer quick bread. It would easily pass off as a pound cake and gets even better with some dollop of ice cream.
So don't bake banana bread because you forgot to eat the bananas and they went black on you. Instead, plan and wait or ripen some bananas to make this extraordinary quick bread! I swear, you will not regret it. I want to know what you think of this bread, so please let me know in the comments. You can watch Dominique making this banana bread on his Instagram.
Let me share how I made this recipe.
- regular white sugar
- all-purpose flour: aka plain flour or maida
- baking soda
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon or nutmeg
- ripe banana
Baked in two mini loaf pans
I tweaked the recipe to fit my two mini loaf pans without compromising on the richness of the recipe.
The recipe calls for nutmeg which is questionable in the Muslim culinary, but you can replace it with cinnamon. You can also use a mix of allspice and cinnamon for a similar flavour.
I have provided cup measurements that were measured by the fluff, scoop and sweep method where 1 cup is 250ml.
Baked at a tad lower temperature and was done in 45 minutes. My two mini banana bread came out of the oven dark brown, with a thick, almost caramelized crust. Thank you very much, sugar and the melted butter did their job well. This bread is crunchy on the outside and incredibly moist on the inside.
The almost burnt crust may not be appealing, but look at the crumb, the texture! The sheer rich taste will transport you to the heaven of banana bread!
Dominique Ansel's Banana Bread
- 2 5x3 inch loaf pan
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour (plain flour or maida)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (or cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup mashed overripe banana
- 100 grams butter melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Grease and line with baking paper two 5 x 3 inches mini loaf pans and set aside. You may use one 8x4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg or cinnamon and salt.1 cup white sugar, 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon salt
- In another large bowl, whisk the eggs and combine them with the mashed bananas.2 large eggs, ¾ cup mashed overripe banana
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix them until just combined. Stir in the melted and cooled butter and fold until fully incorporated.100 grams butter
- Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake in the preheated oven until golden dark brown about 45 minutes. If you find the bread browning too quickly, tent it with foil or reduce the temp to 150c towards the last few minutes. The banana bread is done if a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean. Allow cooling for 10 minutes before removing and slicing.
- Serve warm banana bread with black coffee or tea. Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to two days.