This dates muffin recipe is a perfect choice for those who prefer to bake without eggs or have dietary restrictions. These naturally sweetened muffins makes a wholesome treat for breakfast or snack as it is made with whole wheat flour. Let's dive into this small batch eggless dates muffin recipe for a healthier alternative to traditional muffins!
This dates muffin was born because I had quite a lot of dates that we received during Ramadan. I wanted to try baking but then I had no eggs! I love such challenges that kitchen life throws at us. The result of the experiment was worth sharing!
Now, let's jump to today's recipe which includes the DIY non-stick spray too!
This Dates muffin works fantastically well even without any fat in it. Yes, there is no egg nor butter or oil!
- vanilla extract
- whole wheat flour
- baking soda
- cardamom powder
- To make date muffins, you start by soaking the pitted dates in hot milk for 15 minutes until they become soft. Then, blend the dates along with the milk, sugar of choice, and vanilla essence to create a smooth paste.
- In a separate bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, baking soda, a pinch of salt, and cardamom powder. Combine the dry ingredients with the date paste until well-mixed. Scoop the batter into a lined muffin tray and bake at 180°C (350°F) for 15-20 minutes.
- Once baked, allow the muffins to cool before serving. Enjoy these delightful date muffins as a snack or with your favourite beverage.
DIY Non-stick Spray
In a clean spray bottle, add 1 part olive oil (or any cooking oil) and 5 parts boiled and cooled water. Close and shake vigorously each time before spraying. Tada! That is it! It works charmingly every single time for all most all the bakes I tried.
For example: For every tablespoon of oil add 5 tablespoons of boiled and cooled water.
Substitutions & Variations
- dates : You can use any kind of dates but the soaking time will vary on how hard or soft the dates are. Some dates are sweeter so you can adjust the sugar accordingly.
- milk: For vegan option, you can use any vegan milk.
- sugar: You can replace this with any sugar or choice like stevia, jaggery, raw sugar etc.
- whole wheat flour: while this gives the muffins a nutty flavour, you can use plain flour too.
- cardamom powder: You can replace this with your favourite flavours like cinnamon, pumpkin spice, garam masala, ground ginger, etc.
You can make this dates muffin recipe in a few different ways:
- add chopped nuts
- add chocolate chips
- serve with some warm toffee sauce
As this is a small batch muffin recipe, you only need a 6-hole muffin tray. If you have only 12 hole, then make sure you use the center ones and fill the remaining with some water.
Dates Muffin (eggless)
Soak and Grind to Paste:
- 1 cup tightly packed pitted dates (15 to 20 dates)
- ½ cup milk hot
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a muffin tray with paper liners. Set it aside. You may use the spray or grease and flour method.
- In a bowl, add the pitted dates and hot milk. Let them soak for about 15 minutes until the dates become soft and tender.1 cup tightly packed pitted dates, ½ cup milk
- Once the dates are soft, transfer them along with the milk to a blender or food processor. Add sugar and vanilla essence to the blender as well. Blend until you obtain a smooth paste. Set it aside.¼ cup sugar, ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Combine whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, and cardamom powder in a separate bowl. Mix them well.¾ cup whole wheat flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, a pinch of salt, ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- Pour the date paste into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix everything together until the batter is well combined. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tray, filling each cup about ⅔ to ¾ full.
- Place the muffin tray in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool in the tray for a few minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Your delicious date muffins are now ready to be enjoyed! Serve them as a snack or with your favourite beverage.