I have been staying away from making desserts for quite some time now! However, I could not refrain from it for too long, my hands were itching to make something every time I open the fridge or pantry, non-stop drooling when I see delicious desserts posted by fellow bloggers, and social media feeds were raining with cakes and scoops and sweets due the holiday season...eventually, I became so disoriented, forgetful, lethargic, fatigued, and disinterested in anything, and then I found myself reading this... and a voice inside me said that I will get better if I have one small tiny scoop of it. I went right into the kitchen to make it the very day!
This pudding recipe is lazy-friendly so much so that it can't get any easier! I had the most wonderful weekend devouring this creamy chocolate custard pudding with a dash of cream cheese and cinnamon! An instant mood lifter!
Ingredients used to make No-Bake Chocolate Custard Pudding
- Biscuits/Cookies - Any thin tea biscuits like Marie, Ulker, Leibniz, milk bikies, etc
- Coffee decoction - Instant or filter or espresso
- Milk - I have used full-fat cow's milk, but you may use any other milk of choice
- Custard Powder - This makes life easy but if you want to make your custard from scratch, then refer to my Vanilla Pudding recipe in this post.
- Cocoa Powder - I have used Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder, you may use any that you have
- Sugar - I have used a mix of white and brown, but you can use all white or all brown. You may also replace it with sugar-free options like stevia and erythritol or cane sugar etc.
- Whipping cream - I had used dream whip powder but you can use whipping cream and sugar instead
- Cream cheese spread - I have used this to add creaminess to the whipped cream, you may use any Nutella to make it even more chocolatier
a super easy, quick to put together in no time... only time is chilling for at least 2 hours.
This yields for two too sweet-toothed! maybe one more person, if you are willing to share.
No-Bake Chocolate Pudding
For the base:
- 1 small packet of tea biscuits (100 g)
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee
For the chocolate sauce:
- 2 cups of full-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons of custard powder
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar (or make it all white sugar)
For the top layer:
- A half packet of Dream whip powder (around 6 teaspoons or 18g)
- 60ml cold milk
- 1 tablespoon of cream cheese spread
Note: you may replace powder and milk with ½ cup whipping cream
Prepare the Chocolate Custard Sauce:
- Add the custard powder, cocoa powder and sugar into a deep saucepan
- Stir in the milk and whisk until smooth on medium flame
- Bring to boil and reduce to low flame and keep stirring till the mixture thickens
- Switch off and let it cool completely
Prepare the biscuit base:
- Make the coffee decoction in a bowl by adding the instant coffee and hot water
- Dip each biscuit in the coffee and place them on the base of your pudding dish - I used a 7" square dish
- Break a few biscuits and fill the empty spaces
- Pour the remaining coffee on the biscuit base and set it aside
Prepare the second layer:
- Reserve a tablespoon of the chocolate custard sauce
- Pour the remaining cooled sauce on top of the biscuit base and spread evenly using the back of a spoon
- Poke all over with a fork
For the topping:
- Add the whipping powder and cold milk to a bowl, with an electric whisker, beat for 2 to 3 minutes on high until it thickens, then add in the cream cheese and beat again for another minute
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the chocolate custard
- Sprinkle the reserved sauce and use a fork and decorate or spread them randomly
- Cover with cling film and chill for a couple of hours
- Be ready to plunge and devour!
Note: You may use whipping cream and sugar instead of dream whip.
Have a sweet day!
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
I would love to hear from you. If you have made this recipe then do leave a comment below. If you like this recipe then do share the recipe link on Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. Follow me on Instagram and mention @butfirstchaai or tag #butfirstchaai so that I can see your creations!
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!