Can you make granola in the microwave? Yes! not just a mug, you can make a big batch of microwave granola recipe in just 10 minutes!
All my favourite bloggers were sharing their homemade granola mix mentioning that it is the best and better than store-bought. Even if I wanted to get store-bought granola, Yanbu supermarkets had none and nor could I attempt because rolled oats were not available. But after many months I discovered Harvest Granola cartons in Star Supermarket but it wasn't cheap. Yet I used to buy and use it like gold! Fortunately, the rolled oats started to show up in Al Raya supermarket aisles and you can imagine - I was the happiest soul that day. Little joys of Yanbu days! When I made my first batch of microwave granola, there was no stopping.
You need rolled oats or old fashioned oats to make granola as it can endure all the things we put them through. 😁I first tried the stove-top method and for the next batch, I tried the microwave method because I didn't own an oven then. I tried different recipe ratios from my fav bloggers like Laura, Sally and Nagi and tested plenty to suit my microwave method.
We love oats (old news right?) so no other reason why we love granola. Though it is a go-to breakfast for most both F and I enjoy a small bowl of granola as a mid-day breakie or a snack with yoghurt and seasonal fruits. Apparently, granola is considered a grain-based dessert and not a healthy breakfast. 😲Make your own granola at home and enjoy it moderately, trust me it is hard to keep your hands off the jar.
I have made several batches for friends and family with so many flavour combinations and never got to click decent pictures of those. But what makes me happy is when they eat and tell me it was definitely better than store-bought! The recipe is totally customizable so make it your way with what you have or fancy. But my only tip would be to add dried fruit at the end because they get burnt easily.
DIY Microwave Granola Ideas
There is no end to imagination and possibilities of granola mixture ideas. Here are some of the flavour combinations that I tried so far:
- Trail mix with homemade sunflower seed butter granola
- Peanuts and Peanut butter granola
- Date paste and cinnamon chips granola
- Lady/Earl grey and dried goji berries granola
- Mixed nuts and dried cranberries granola
- Almonds and Chocolate chips granola
- Date syrup and Cashews granola
How to make granola in a microwave?
In short, the process of making granola in a microwave is similar to the oven method except the baking time is much shorter than an oven. Make the granola mixture and when ready you will spread them in a microwavable large shallow pan, something similar to a ceramic or glass baking dish that fits in your microwave. Microwave on full power in 2 minute increments up to 10 minutes. Stirring the mixture end of every 2 minutes for even browning. Remove, let cool and stir in the dried fruits.
If you don't have a large pan, you can microwave the granola in batches in a smaller pan. This is not a cake batter 😝 it can stay until the first batch is out in 10 minutes. The shelf life of granola depends on your usage. Mine was over within a week.
A quick tip: Store nuts like walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios, almonds, etc and granola, corn flakes, cereals etc. in the freezer which helps to retain the freshness and crunch forever.
Microwave Granola in 10 minutes
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup mixed nuts eg. almonds, cashews, pecans, etc.
- 2 tablespoon seeds sunflower seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds etc.
- 1 teaspoon favourite spice eg. cinnamon, cardamom, saffron etc
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- a pinch of salt
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup nut butter peanut butter, almond butter or sunflower seed butter etc
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg white whisked (optional but recommended)
- 1 cup dried fruits eg. dates, berries, goji berries, cranberries, raisins, apricots, etc.
- ½ cup chocolate chips or cinnamon chips (optional)
Prepare the granola mixture
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until every grain is coated. Taste and adjust the sweetness and spice.
Microwave the granola mix
- Spread on a microwavable pan and microwave for 2 minutes on full power 100%. Open and stir the mixture and microwave again for 2 minutes and repeat this 4 to 5 times (up to 10 minutes) Now, every oven is different so you may not need 10 minutes or maybe more than 10 minutes depending on your microwave model. Granola would start to change colour to golden brown but will still be soft. It will get crispy only once cooled completely.
Cool the microwaved granola
- Remove from the microwave and transfer the hot granola to another wider pan to cool it down faster and prevent any burning from residue heat in the pan.
Stir in the add-ins and store
- Once cooled, stir in the dried fruits and/or chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container and you may keep it in a freezer.
- Serve with yoghurt or milk or eat as is!