This easy homemade no-churn salted caramel chocolate ice cream is a deliciously creamy, sweet, salty and luxurious dessert to indulge guilt-free!
After months of waiting, I finally saw Hershey's 100% Cocoa powder box in Al Raya Supermarket here in Yanbu. I have gone hunting for some cocoa powder in all the supermarkets but all they had were Heinz's Dark Chocolate powder. But what is strange is this Hershey's box will expire by year-end! So where have they been hoarding these? or is it all the "about to expire" products being transported to Yanbu? 🙁 Anyways, now that I have to use it up before it expires, I planned on making some chocolate ice cream.
Making Salted caramel was on my to-do list for months. I have been wanting to try it ever since I had Cinnabon's salted caramel cinnamon roll from an airport outlet in Saudi. It remained somewhere back in my mind that something like Salt and caramel can exist and be deliciously tasty! So that thought just reappeared as a pin during one of my Pinterest sessions - which I not only pinned but went ahead and made right away!
I had no idea or plans on what to make out of the salted caramel. While it was cooling down, I went on to prepare my planned chocolate ice cream constantly thinking in my head if I have to do salted caramel mixed nuts as toppings over my ice cream etc.. all the while I was pouring the salted caramel itself into my ice cream batter! 😛 Talk about clashing ideas within your thoughts! I was sceptical but just went ahead with my gut instinct and am so glad I did.
I am struggling to describe the taste of this union of salt, sugar, and chocolate! I can only tell you that I have fallen in love with it and can have it any time of the day. This is super easy to make. You have to HAVE to stand next to the pan while making the caramel with eyes glued on the pan and hands-free to be able to take it off at the right time.
Salted Caramel Chocolate No-Churn Ice Cream
Yields 4 scoops
For the salted caramel (makes approx cup)
- ½ cup sugar
- 45gms of unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the chocolate ice cream with salted caramel
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder (Hershey's 100% cocoa)
- ⅓ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup salted caramel
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks
Prepare the Salted Caramel
- Heat sugar in a thick-bottomed light-coloured saucepan until it melts and starts to brown.
- Add in the butter cubes and whisk until melted.
- Stir in the whipping cream and bring to a boil. Wait for a minute until you see the mixture rise up.
- Switch off and add salt. Stir well and let it cool completely before using.
Put together the Ice Cream
- In a wide-mouthed bowl, sift in the cocoa powder, and add in the condensed milk and the salted caramel.
- Whisk the mixture together with a fork or spatula until well incorporated.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mix until well incorporated.
- Transfer the ice cream batter into a freezer box and freeze for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Scoop and serve with salted caramel drizzled and some choice of chopped nuts.
- You can refrigerate the leftover salted caramel and warm it up for a few seconds in the microwave whenever you want to use it.
- Drizzle more salted caramel for a richer taste.
- Freeze the ice cream overnight for best results.
Image Updated on 29th Oct 2018
I still have some Salted Caramel leftover, thinking maybe salted caramel popcorns?
TRIED THIS RECIPE?
I would love to know if you tried this recipe. You may leave a comment below or follow me on Instagram and mention @butfirstchaai or tag #butfirstchaiblog so that I can see your creations! Thank you!