|2020 cherry and banana|
How to make a bowl of Oatmeal (Sweet)
Oatmeal recipe for One
- ½ cup rolled oats or whole oats per person
- 1 cup water for every ½ cup of oats
- Salt to taste
- a knob of butter
- 1 or 2 tablespoons milk or cream (optional)
- Sweeteners: sugar/honey/brown sugar/dates molasses/maple syrup/stevia
- Flavours: cinnamon powder / cardamom powder / rosewater / orange blossom water / mastic / vanilla essence / Biscoff/ peanut butter / Nutella / jam /etc
- Toppings: seasonal fruits, nuts, dried fruits, seeds, coconut shreds, etc
Notes: Use flavours that pair well with the fruit that you would be using. For example, apple goes well with Cinnamon powder, Banana with cardamom, rose water, dates with orange blossom water, etc. There is no rule, test some and see what best works for you and your family. I can never add coconut to F's bowl and I had to eat his share the next day morning. 🙂 So unless you test, you will never know.
- Add oats, water or milk and salt to a deep sauce pot and bring this to boil while stirring occasionally. Cook until the liquid has reduced and the oats have softened.
- Switch off and stir in the sweetener of choice, flavour, butter and cream.
- Cover and let it cool. Meanwhile, prepare your fruits and nuts.
- Transfer the oatmeal to a serving bowl. Dress up with the desired toppings and serve warm/ room temp or cold.
|This was served for breakfast on a weekend morning. I have added apple, banana, raisins, almonds and couple of cashew nuts and dried goji berries. No dairy. Cinnamon flavoured. Add caption|
|This was served as dinner. No diary oatmeal with apple, banana, kiwi, papaya in mine, goji berries, almonds, date orange jam.|
|Almost the same as the first one with the addition of frozen-thawed strawberries and no almonds.|
|Dinner. Flavoured with orange blossom water. Non-diary oatmeal.|
|Dinner. A similar one with walnuts and yellow plum.|