Learn how to make a bowl of Oatmeal that is buttery and creamy bowl never boring. Oatmeal or oats are healthy, easy on the pocket and super versatile! You can make a large batch and customize each day as per the season or what you have in your pantry.
The most common issue I hear is oats are not filling, it makes me hungry soon, it is not a meal... etc. And some people hate it without even trying. I hope to change that soon.
How I started eating oats?
Being a follower of Rujuta Diwekar's food philosophy, I should not be using a weighing scale to determine my fitness. But I do. Our weighing scale used to go only "forward" or "stagnant" for both of us.
As I was able to do all the chores without much difficulty, I assumed I am OK. But that feeling did not last long because my recently bought clothes refused to fit. So, to kick start the weight loss, I decided to change our eating habits.
It all started when I decided to embrace oatmeal as serious food for breakfast or dinner. I also chose portion-controlled home-cooked meals and included more fruits and nuts. I never thought it would last more than a week, but I am surprised we are still on it. 🙂
The recipe mentioned in the card can be doubled or tripled.
Use flavours that pair well with the fruit that you would be using. For example, apple goes well with Cinnamon powder, Banana with cardamom, rose water, dates with orange blossom water, etc.
There is no rule, test some and see what best works for you and your family. I can never add coconut to F's bowl and I had to eat his share the next day morning. 🙂 So, unless you test, you will never know.
This article on 6 mistakes you are making with your oatmeal by Prevention is a must-read.
Here is how I make oatmeal that is filling and will not make you feel hungry soon. Now you have no excuse not to bring oatmeal back to the breakfast table.
How to make a bowl of Oatmeal
- ½ cup oats (rolled oats or whole oats) per person
- 1 cup water for every ½ cup of oats
- salt to taste
- 1 knob butter
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream (optional)
- sweetener of choice see notes
- seasonal fruits chopped
- mixed nuts
- dried fruits
- seeds chia, flax, pumpkin, sunflower, etc.
- Add oats, water and salt to a deep sauce pot and bring this to a boil while stirring occasionally. Cook until the liquid has reduced and the oats have softened. You may cook the oats as per the pack instructions.
- Switch off and stir in the sweetener of choice, flavour, butter and milk or cream. Taste and adjust as per your liking.
- Cover and let it cool. Meanwhile, prep your fruits and measure out the dried fruits and nuts or seeds you want to use.
- Transfer the oatmeal to a serving bowl. Dress up with the desired toppings and drizzle some honey and serve warm or cold.