This Bounty pudding or dessert is for the true Bounty Chocolate and Oreo fans. A three-layer pudding with sweetened coconut, chocolate and McFlurry-style oreo topping! A rich and delicious make-ahead dessert that will blow your mind!
My little brother-in-law (in pic) made this for my 31st birthday knowing how much I love bounty chocolates. We made it again sometime in Ramadan and it became a keeper recipe. It is a heavy dessert and should be had only if there is no important work post that... because trust me, you will be lounging after having a big bite.
Though the title is Bounty pudding, there is no pudding in this recipe. I know the west knows pudding as the vanilla custard mix. But for us south-Indians, pudding refers to layered dessert.
You can make this bounty chocolate dessert with ingredients that are easily available these days.
- desiccated coconut
- sweetened condensed milk
- chocolate (semi-sweet or dark)
- full-fat milk
- whipping cream
- oreo cookies
How to make it?
This is a no-bake three-layered dessert that you can easily double or triple to serve a crowd. You can also tweak a bit and make this into bars.
- First layer: sweetened condensed milk with desiccated coconut
- Second layer: melted chocolate with milk
- Third layer: whipped cream with crushed oreo cookies (like McFlurry)
- desiccated coconut: you may use freshly grated coconut or frozen grated coconut. But make sure to dry roast it to reduce the moisture.
- chocolate: you can use cooking chocolate, milk chocolate, semi-sweet or dark. You can also use chocolate chips. Try to use the double-boiler method to melt the chocolate.
- whipping cream: you may use dream whip but make sure you are using dark or semi-sweet chocolate to adjust the sweetness.
- oreo cookies: this is just a personal choice. You may use any other similar cookies or skip and use roasted and crushed nuts.
I know, the pictures do not do any justice to the pudding.. but this is all I could gather.. hopefully, I will update this post with a new version.
As this dessert has whipped cream, this has to be kept refrigerated and consumed within 3 to 4 days. But, trust me no sweet desserts stay longer than that!
Looking for recipes using desiccated coconut?
The Bounty Pudding | Chocolate and Coconut Pudding
For the first layer (sweet coconut)
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk ~200 grams or adjust as per your taste
For the second layer (melted chocolate)
- 200 grams chocolate semi-sweet, dark or milk
- ½ cup full-fat milk
For the third layer (creamy Oreo)
- 1 cup whipping cream whipped to stiff peaks
- 10 to 15 Oreo cookies crushed
Prepare the sweet coconut layer
- Heat a shallow pan on low flame and dry roast the desiccated coconut for a couple of minutes.2 cups desiccated coconut
- Stir in the condensed milk and mix thoroughly until well combined. The mixture should come together easily and should not be dry.½ can sweetened condensed milk
- Switch off and transfer to a 2 to 4 inches deep 7x7-inch dessert dish and level it with the back of the spoon. You can make it in individual cups but dividing into several cups.
Prepare the chocolate layer
- Double-boil the chocolate along with the milk until it melts.200 grams chocolate, ½ cup full-fat milk
- Remove the bowl and let it cool completely.
- Pour the cooled chocolate evenly over the coconut layer.
Prepare the creamy oreo layer:
- Whip the whipping cream to stiff peaks as per pack instructions. You may use dream whip but it would be too sweet.1 cup whipping cream
- Fold in the crushed Oreo cookies take care not to overmix.10 to 15 Oreo cookies
- Spread this on the chocolate layer and garnish with extra crushed Oreo cookies.
- Cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours to set.
- Serve chilled and keep any leftovers refrigerated.
A family friend is the original author of this recipe and she was more than willing to share it with exact measurements. I so love her for that. mwah!