Ingredients of methi lachha paratha
- Fenugreek leaves: Fresh methi leaves are used for their nutritious value. You may replace it with any other greens like coriander, mint or parsley or even baby spinach!
- Whole wheat flour: Authentic lachha paratha will call for plain (maida) flour but I have used only atta. You may use all plain or half plain and half atta which has higher chances of layers retained and distinguished.
- Garlic: for flavour and digestion (optional but recommended) you may add some ajwain instead.
- Ghee or butter: Preferably in the melted form so you can control the portion
- Salt to taste: indispensable!
- Water: just enough to make a pliable dough
- Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves): To enhance the "methi" flavour of methi lachha paratha. Better to use it but you may skip it if you don't have it.
- Red chilli flakes: You may replace them with red chilli powder. I used the flakes to avoid too much colour on the bread.
- Dry mango powder: you may use chaat masala or both! no harm!
How to make methi lachha paratha?
- Prepare the fresh leaves: Wash and drain the leaves. I have explained how to wash methi leaves in the methi paratha recipe post.
- Make the dough by mixing all the dough ingredients with water to a smooth slightly sticky dough
- Mix all the spice powders listed and keep aside
- Prepare the dough balls: What makes this different from the usual Paratha is the folding technique which makes this a Lachha paratha.. meaning layered.
- Pan roast the rolled-out lachha paratha with ghee on both sides until cooked and crispy
Methi Lachha Paratha | Fenugreek Spiced Layered Flat-bread
For the dough:
½ cup tightly packed fresh fenugreek leaves (or use mint or coriander)
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 garlic clove grated
2 teaspoon melted ghee or butter
Salt to taste
Water as required (I had used close to a cup)
For the spice mix:
1 tablespoon kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1 tablespoon dry mango powder or chaat masala
Enough melted ghee for spreading on the rolled dough and for roasting