Today I am sharing the masala recipe that is served with Poori, assuming you all know how to make Poori. This was one of the earliest recipes that I got from my mom right after I came to Yanbu. Making Poori is a bonding activity - while I work the dough, F works on frying them. I like to keep the pooris puffed even while serving, so they go into this large colander right after frying. The Potato Masala is made in a jiffy because it gets cooked in a Pressure cooker. No boiling and peeling of potatoes - no hard work at all!
Mom's Poori Masala Recipe
Potato Masala for Deep Fried Indian Flatbread
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¾ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2 medium onions, sliced finely
- 2 to 3 green chillies, chopped finely
- ½ inch ginger, chopped finely
- 1 medium tomato, chopped roughly
- 500g or 4 to 5 small-sized potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 to 2 carrots, chopped into half-inch pieces or roundels (optional)
- ⅓ cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ cup water (add more to adjust desired consistency)
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker on medium to low flame.
- Add mustard seeds and let them splutter and then some cumin seeds if used and lastly add the curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions, and green chillies and saute until onions turn translucent. Next, add the ginger and saute until the raw smell fades away. Tip in the chopped tomato and saute until they break down.
- Fold in the chopped potatoes, carrots, salt, and turmeric powder. Add water and mix again.
- Close and pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 1 long whistle and then switch off before the second one goes off. Let the pressure cool on its own.
- Open and add the thawed green peas and boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with fresh pooris, luchis or any Indian flatbreads.
Note: You can cook in a pot instead of a pressure cooker but it would take a longer time and you just need to check until the potatoes are done.
Do let me know in the comments if you want me to include the recipe and method of making pooris.
Have a great weekend! 😀